Atos has won a contract with GENCI (Grand Equipement National de Calcul Intensif) to deliver one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, planned for the end of 2017. A successor of the Curie system installed at the TGCC (Tres Grand Centre de Calcul of the CEA in Bruyeres-Le-Chatel), the Bull Sequana supercomputer has an overall power of 9 petaflops and can carry out 9 million billion operations per second. It will be used for research purposes in France and Europe.
Specifications of the supercomputer:
* All of the computing nodes consist of 9 Sequana cells and are equipped with the latest generation of Intel Xeon Skylake-EP processors and Intel Xeon Phi KNL manycore processors for a total of over 124,700 cores;
* The peak computing power is in the range of 8.9 petaflops (6.86 petaflops in x86_64 technology and 2.08 petaflops in accelerator technology);
* The distributed memory capacity is in the range of 400 Tb;
* The patented direct liquid cooling technology makes it possible to cool the machine with hot water, reducing energy consumption by up to 40% in comparison to using air to cool.
* The entire solution functions under the new Bull SCS 5 environment based on the Linux Red Hat 7.x operating system. The solution also includes a cluster of Lustre multi-level storage capable of releasing a minimum output of 300 Gb/s (500 Gb/s over time) for a minimum required data storage of 5 Pio….Read More : http://www.varindia.com/news/atos-helps-genci-to-acquire-a-powerful-supercomputer